Translate

Friday 18 July 2014

Sizing in shops......

What clothes size are you?


Seems like an extremely personal question doesn't it? It is one that many people feel self conscious or concerned about. One of the reasons why clothes sizing and shopping can be very difficult and potentially embarrassing is because of the ridiculous sizing in many shops. Don't know what I'm talking about?

It appears to me that, as I travel from store to store (not that I go shopping that much), my size morphs to up to 2 whole sizes bigger than the one I started at. This can be very humiliating when attempting to try and squeeze into something in a size that should fit me fine! It can also really knock your confidence.

It has become increasing apparent to me, over the years, that most woman are not skinny. The majority of us have big boobs and big bums. We are curvy. However, despite the overwhelming majority of woman shaped like this, clothes still look as if they are designed for 10 - 12 year olds who are yet to fill out, fully develop and are, well, skinny. It is obviously important to create clothes for those of us who are lucky enough to have a petite frame, however that doesn't mean others should be left to buy clothes that are unflattering on us because we have no other choice or have to buy massive sizes when, in reality, they're not that big but just need something to fit over their boobs!

Take places like Topshop and Primark for example, is it a size 10 or an age 10? And, when I do find one I can get over my boobs how am I supposed to deal with it hanging off me completely shapeless and making me look like a box?! After doing some ordering of clothes online instead of actually going into the stores, I discovered that the measurements for different sizes changes completely depending on what shop you go to! How exactly does that work? Allow me to show you a thing - 
Topshop sizing guide:
M&S sizing guide:
As you can see, the sizes are pretty much exactly the same (give or take a very few cms). If this is the case then why is it that I can fit perfectly fine into a size 12 from Marks and Spencers but still struggle to squeeze into a size 14 from Topshop? WHAT IS THIS TRICKERY?!?

A friend of mine once had an encounter with a shop assistant at Hollister, where she asked why all the clothes were so small and they didn't do larger sizes, to which the shop assistant replied:
                                              "We don't make clothes for fat people."
Okay. You want to know what you make clothes for? Clothes hangers. You make clothes for hangers.
You create something that looks appealing when just on display in the shop that will attract people to it enough to, at least, try it on. For curvy ladies however, a lot of truly flattering clothing looks miles better on than it does on the hanger.

But enough about my pain, I want to know about yours. Have you had any embarrassing or mildly traumatic experiences thanks to unreliable sizing guides? Do you feel your confidence disappearing as you travel from store to store and notice that either you've put on a lot of weight in the last 2 minutes or the clothes are shrinking? Does anyone else experience these things? Please tell me I'm not alone. Or if you have a theory on the mystery of the mystical changing clothes sizes then please feel free to tell me how you did it and which Genius company you're working for.

Thank you for reading my rant,
love you loads ❤️




Oh and clothes companies

No comments:

Post a Comment