Translate

Saturday 19 July 2014

Social Media and Phones......

Hello ladies and gentlemen! (yeah, that's right.....classy)

Have you ever had a highly traumatic experience caused by constant usage of mobile phones and social networking? Cause I have. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely adore my phone and I spend half my day on social media sites however, I can't help but feel that there are certain points in our lives where phones seem to take control and turn what should have been a fun social event into an awkward silence. This is because people suddenly decide that the people on their phones are infinitely more interesting than the friends that they are supposed to be with. A little bit of this is okay but when you're at a party, you want to celebrate and talk to people, what you don't want is for literally EVERYBODY else to be on their phones, completely ignoring each other!!


This is something that I encountered a couple of years ago. We were all sat round a table in a restaurant and everyone else was on their phones. Not talking. Not interacting. Just looking at their screens. For over 45 minutes. In silence. It drove me UP THE WALL!! At that time, I had a 'pay as you go' phone, didn't have internet and I had about 5p of money left on it. Not enough to have a text conversation or call someone so I couldn't really go on my phone. So I just sat, looking at the wall, for 45 minutes while trying to start a conversation with people on their phones only to be met with a grunt. Brilliant.

As I only had about 5p left, I had enough to send 1 text. 1 text. And so who did I chose to text? My mum. I'm not kidding. And before you start asking NO I WAS NOT THAT GUY who sat and texted their parents for fun. I was actually quite social. But I had cracked and could not handle the people around me anymore. So I asked my mum to come and pick me up like 30 minutes early (she was my ride at that time) and make up an excuse as to why I had to leave because I actually could not handle it anymore!


Now, I have a different phone and if everyone was ignoring everyone else, I would probably just join in but that is NOT what I would want to do. Thankfully, I have not had to endure any similar situation since then. Soo MORAL of that story:

  • social media is fab
  • communicating with friends when at home is good too
  • want to go on your phone to check something? That's fine!
BUT, if I make plans to go out with you in person, it's because I actually want to SEE you and SPEAK to you, not watch you talk to other people online! And I am making a personal guarantee to everyone out there now, if we are out together and you have been constantly ignoring me to be on your phone, I will leave. I don't care where we are, I will leave and either walk or get the train home. 


Thank you for reading,
love you loads ❤️

No comments:

Post a Comment